For buyers looking for a new home in 2022, here is what to expect from the housing market and how to secure the home of your dreams.
In 2021, the housing inventory was very low and extremely competitive. However, in 2022, housing trends are beginning to slowly change. Buyers need to act fast because housing prices are predicted to steadily rise along with mortgage rates . Overall, the housing inventory will be slightly better than it was in 2021, therefore, giving buyers a better chance at securing a home for the new year. Even though the housing market is a tough environment, you can still be victorious if you prepare properly.
- Get pre-approved for a mortgage loan early on in your home search – A mortgage pre-approval letter is a document from a lender indicating that you have the financial means to qualify for a certain mortgage amount. Getting a pre-approved mortgage loan shows that you’re serious about buying a home .
- Maintain a positive credit score – The higher your credit score is, the more likely you’ll be to get approved not only for a mortgage loan but for an affordable loan rate as well. There are multiple ways to boost and maintain your credit score. First, pay all your bills on time. Second, pay off any existing credit card debt. Finally, check your credit report for errors and correct those that could be dragging your score down .
- Be prepared for competition – The housing inventory remains scarce, so be ready for intense competition and bidding wars. To stand out to sellers, make sure you have done your research, be accommodating to the seller, and make sure your finances are completely in order.
- Backman, Maurie. “What Is a Mortgage Pre-Approval Letter?” December 5, 2021.
2. Adamczyk, Alicia. “What will the 2022 housing market look like? It could ‘come back down to sanity.’” December 29, 2021.